The 2/2nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment formed in May 1940 at Puckapunyal, Victoria. They served in the Middle East and New Guinea, where they provided heavy artillery support for Australian held airspace. They disbanded in February 1946.
The first reunion of the regiment took place on 6 October 1945 in South Yarra, Melbourne. 55 members of the regiment signed their names on the attendance sheet.
A memorial tree for the 2/2nd was dedicated at the Shrine in 1947. While the original tree had to be replaced in 2008 due to drought, the families of the regiment continue to hold a service here each year.
- Shrine Governor Colonel Jason Cooke
Reviewed 02 August 2021