No. 22 Squadron, also known as the City of Sydney squadron, was formed in 1936. They began the Second World War as a training unit covering army support and towing targets for anti-aircraft practice. In 1941, the squadron was equipped with Anson and Wirraway aircraft and flew patrols along the eastern seaboard.
By November 1942, 22 Squadron were equipped with Boston light bombers and Beaufighters and moved to Port Moresby. They supported ground troops and attacked enemy targets in the Buna-Gona area. Their operations took them to Lae, Goodenough Island, Morotai, Celebes and the Philippines. They played an important role in the Allied victory in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea.
The squadron disbanded on 15 August 1946. It was reformed in 1948 and still operates to this day out of RAAF Base Richmond. 22 Squadron will be supported by students and staff of Corpus Christi Primary School.
Reviewed 13 June 2023