Being a volunteer is a great way to get involved and support the Shrine
The Shrine has over 100 volunteers who assist with a range of tasks including:
- talking with visitors
- helping visitors understand more about the Shrine and its purpose
- leading community tours
- administrative tasks
- assisting with research
- education program delivery
- school holiday program delivery.
A typical day for a Shrine volunteer could include any combination of the activities listed above.
Shrine volunteers take part in regular training and development opportunities.
If you are interested in becoming a Shrine volunteer, we'd be delighted to hear from you. Please email email@example.com.
Benefits of Volunteering
Giving back to the community is a great feeling. Shrine Volunteers support the Shrine's mission of engaging all Victorians in commemoration through reflection, ceremony, education and learning. There are also many benefits associated with being a volunteer. These include:
- developing new skills and knowledge
- meeting a diverse range of people, including staff, other volunteers and visitors
- supporting commemorative activities including Anzac Day, Remembrance Day, Legacy Day and Battle for Australia Day
- an opportunity to personalise our visitor's experience through your interactions
- discounted tickets and invitations to attend Shrine public programs and events.
- recognition of milestone years of service
The Shrine is committed to an ongoing, relevant, high-quality Volunteer Program. The Shrine adheres to the National Standards for Volunteer Involvement.
How to apply
The application process is as follows:
- contact us with your expression of interest at firstname.lastname@example.org
- we’ll arrange a time when you can come in for half a day. You’ll meet current volunteers and observe a typical shift. You’ll spend time with a staff member and discuss Shrine volunteering
- if you decide to apply, you complete the online application form which we will email to you
- as in a standard job application we require people joining our team to consent to background checks. The Shrine covers the cost of these
When these steps are completed we offer successful applicants a place as a Shrine volunteer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Downloadable version of the position description: